So, who or what are the Meebits?
The Meebits characters have been launched by Larva Labs, the CryptoPunk development team
Meebits are 3D avatars rendered in voxels (pixels with volume). There are 20,000 algorithmically generated characters attached to NFTs on the Ethereum blockchain.
Matt Hall and John Watkinson (from their company Larva Labs) came up with the idea and developed the CryptoPunks in 2017, some months before the CryptoKitties phenomenon.
The CryptoPunks icons have since become a hot commodity among crypto’s nouveau riche, with some selling for upwards of $7 million. There was a total of 10,000 CryptoPunks. Now Larva Labs introduces a new group of 20,000 3D voxel digital characters.
On LarvaLabs website Matt and John provide explanation about their process of invention.
“Writing a generator of voxel characters was a lot more challenging and involved than writing a 2D generator. We’ve been tinkering with voxel generation for a few years and are really proud of where we ended up. There are lots of little details we hope you notice, including Autoglyphs-style generative tattoo patterns on certain Meebits. And there are some cool rare types of Meebits, but we will wait for the community to discover them rather than list them all here!”
The creators also provide more information as to how they hope their new avators may function.
If the Cryptopunks are an ideal 2D avatar for Discord, Twitter, and other social media, then we hope that the Meebits will be the 3D avatar for virtual worlds, games, and VR. We are bullish about the metaverse future, and we look forward to seeing how the Meebits are used in such environments.
We also love low-poly and voxel 3D graphics. The style has been made popular in the last decade or so by games such as Minecraft and Roblox. We think that, just like 8-bit pixel art, the minimalism and accessibility of voxel art will prove timeless and endearing for generations to come.
THE SALE AND THE SELL OUT OF THE NEW MEEBITS!
The meeBIT NFT collection from Larva Labs public sale was over within hours.
On Twitter, the LarvaLabs team said that they were sold out by the end of the day on May 3rd.
- Larva Labs, the creators of the iconic CryptoPunks and Autoglyphs NFT collections, launched the Meebits, a metaverse-focussed collection on May 3rd.
- Punk and Glyph owners could mint their own Meebits for free, while a public release of 9,000 NFTs sold out within a few hours.
- The collection initially went live with a community grant that allowed Punk and Autoglyphs owners to mint their own Meebits for free. One character could be minted per Punk or Glyph, which allowed those with multiple Larva Labs pieces to take a significant supply of the Meebits collection. The community minting period is live for one week.
- Shortly after the community grant started, a public sale of 9,000 Meebits went live in a Dutch auction format.
- Within six hours of going live, the public release was sold out.
The creators of the meetbits are offering an extra to purchasers
Owner Extras (Coming Soon)
Owners of a Meebit are given access to an additional asset pack that includes the full 3D model. Use it to render and animate your Meebit, or use as your avatar in the metaverse.